Buzz, buzz, buzz:
from Kassel's bees
Where does the best honey in Hesse come from? Kassel, of course! Hesse's regional beekeeping association has already honoured the honey produced by Kassel's official beekeeper Victor Hernández with two gold awards. The professional beekeeper regularly clambers onto Kassel's rooftops to take care of his honey bee colonies and to harvest their honey. What makes the sweet natural product made in the city so special, and how does urban beekeeping contribute to nature conservation? Read our article to find out!
Natural treat and active nature conservation
Kassel is Germany's fourth-greenest city – and therefore offers urban bees the ideal conditions. When they swarm out, they find a wide choice of flowers and pollen from plants that have not been treated with pesticides in Kassel's many parks and gardens, on balconies and in other green spaces.
Since 2011, Kassel's first official urban beekeeper Victor Hernández has turned the results of the forays of his busy bees into delicious speciality honeys that wow gourmets and experts alike. He already won several awards for the quality of his very first honey. In 2014, the city of Kassel also honoured Victor Hernández with a nature conservation prize. Over the past few years, he has successfully multiplied his honey bee colonies, which now swarm out in increasingly more of the city's districts.
By the way, Victor Hernández is also happy to share his passion for bees with others, for example in schools and kindergartens. "Because if you learn at an early age how important bees are for humankind, you are bound to also understand other active nature conservation aspects and behaviour later on," he believes. He also shares his knowledge during guided tours and on beekeeping courses.
Einwilligung zur Nutzung von Youtube.
Unter „Datenschutz“ können Sie diese Einstellung jederzeit anpassen.
Every city district tastes different
Whether on the roof of the Schlosshotel in Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe or the roof of the Staatstheater, or the rooftops of Kassel's Südstadt district: Victor Hernández keeps his bee colonies all over the city. The honey from each city district is harvested and processed separately – and you can taste the difference, as the busy honey bees find different vegetation in each district; every honey variety therefore has its own distinctive flavour. Kassel's urban honey is essentially as multifaceted as the many faces of the documenta city. You can sample all of the different varieties at the urban beekeeper's farm shop – and discover that no two honey varieties are the same!
"Rendezvous with the Queen"
Would you like to immerse yourself in the fascinating world of Kassel's urban bees and maybe even meet a real queen bee? Then go on a guided tour with Kassel's urban beekeeper! Under the motto "Rendezvous with the Queen", Victor Hernández shows groups of up to fifteen people how urban beekeeping works, and shares interesting stories from the bee microcosm. Highlight of the tour is a visit to the bee colony in the apiary (that's the group of hives where the bees live) in the garden, and maybe, you will even witness the birth of a bee or get to meet the queen bee. Of course, the participants can also look forward to plenty of things with "a taste of honey"!
Due to the current situation there are no guided tours to the bees. Get an exclusive bee tour in the form of a voucher in the Kassel Stadthonig online shop.
Veel meer dan zoet genot
De boerderijwinkel is momenteel gesloten. Breng nu het bijenplezier van Kassel naar huis en steun de stadshoning van Kassel. Alle producten zijn er ook in de online shop – neem eens een kijkje!
Een bezoek in de boerderijwinkel van de stadsimkerij van Kassel is een echte belevenis. Hier vindt u naast verschillende Kasseler stadshoningsoorten nog veel andere honingproducten, die met liefdevol handwerk geproduceerd worden. Wat denkt u bijvoorbeeld van de krachtig-zoete honing-mosterd, honing-azijn of aangenaam drinkbare honing-likeur van het merk “Bärenfang”! Ook natuurlijke cosmetica op basis van honing, kaarsen van bijenwas of de legendarische Gelée Royal zijn hier verkrijgbaar. Verder zijn er artikelen, die in samenwerking met regionale samenwerkingspartners ontstaan, bijvoorbeeld honing-els-worst van de ‚Wurstehimmel‘ uit Calden of duurzame bijenwasdoekjes.
WowIn harmony with nature
The Renthof invites you to take a luxurious journey through time – in a number of ways at once: the hotel is located in the historic walls of a monastery built in 1298 and delights guests with a stylish design that provides constant surprises.
- Two nights in the desired category of room
- Extensive breakfast buffet
- A bottle of Kiefer’s non-alcoholic Hummeln im Hintern, or a bottle of Krämer’s Pudelwohl wine.
- A hiking map
- A picnic blanket
- A picnic basket or hiking rucksack containing delicious regional delicacies
- Late check-out until 2 p.m.
- The “MeineCardKassel+” (for 72 hours of free use of the local public transport and all sorts of discounts on entry tickets in the city area)
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 159 p.P.
WowE-biking in Kassel
A fairytale adventure in the heart of the city? In the Hotel Gude and the neighbouring Niederzwehren fairytale district, you will meet the spirit of the Brothers Grimm wherever you go.
- 2 nights in an L double room with late check-out on Sundays until 2 p.m. (on request and depending on a availability)
- 2 x breakfast from the extensive breakfast buffet
- Free use of an e-bike with a cycling tour recommendation starting from the hotel
- 1 x 3-course meal in the Pfeffermühle restaurant on the day of arrival
- Free parking space on the hotel site during the stay
- 1 bottle of mineral water in the room
- Free WiFi in the hotel
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 199.00 p.P.
WowKassel in a day
At the Palmenbad, you are far from the madding crowds and can, in an informal feel-good atmosphere, enjoy the newly designed rooms and suites (in different sizes from S to XL) and the very best of North Hessian cuisine – fresh, healthy and delicious.
- 1 night incl. breakfast and “MeineCard“
- Small picnic basket containing North Hessian specialities (city honey, a miniature bottle of Palmenbad gin, a small Ahle Wurst from the butcher Landfleischerei Koch, a small jar of homemade jam and a small cheese from the Kirchhof Oberellenbach farm, Steckenpferd pilsner
- “Kassel an einem Tag” (Kassel in a day) city guide
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 80.00 p.P.
WowWellness – fit and healthy
Situated right in the middle of Kassel´s UNESCO World Heritage Site Bergparkhöhe, the Schlosshotel Bad Wilhelmshöhe Conference & SPA leaves nothing to be desired in terms of sophistication.
- 2 nights in a Comfort double room with late check-out on Sundays until 2 p.m. (on request and depending on availability; we are also happy to check other days of the week)
- 2 x palace breakfast from the extensive buffet with live cooking
- 1 x 3-course vital menu chosen by the chef (on the day of arrival)
- Daily entry to the wellness and spa oasis including the indoor pool and the natural swimming pond
- 1 x healthy VIP welcome when you arrive in the room
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 225.00 per person