365 Days of Art Appreciation
documenta art can only be admired in Kassel every five years? Wrong! The international art exhibition has left its marks throughout the cityscape in the form of numerous permanent, large-scale outdoor exhibits. From "Man walking to the sky" at the central railway station to the oversized "Pickaxe" next to the banks of the Fulda river or "7000 oaks" by Joseph Beuys: Kassel showcases international art 365 days a year. Important works from the past few decades are also on display in the Neue Galerie. Plenty of reasons to go on a fascinating tour of exploration through the documenta city and to discover it from a completely new perspective!
The New Gallery is closed as a precaution against the spread of COVID-19 until further notice. As a preventive measure, there are no guided tours or city tours until the end of April. You can find more information at www.kassel.de
Where the world's art is at home
The documenta, generally considered the most important international contemporary art exhibition in the world, is held in Kassel every five years. Each documenta runs for 100 days and attracts people from all over the globe interested in the latest art and culture trends to Kassel, which gives the city a truly unusual and very cosmopolitan feel.
The documenta was established in 1955 by the artist and designer Arnold Bode and some like-minded enthusiasts with the intention of showcasing the important role that modern art played in German society after the Second World War. The huge success of this first documenta encouraged those involved to organise another exhibition under the same name four years later. Over the next few decades, the documenta evolved into one of the world's most important art events.
Ever since, each individual documenta has been a unique project and a forum for showcasing and discussing the worldwide developments in contemporary art, culture and society. For the international modern art scene, the documenta is like a melting pot that regularly brings artists as well as arts fans from all over the world together in Kassel.
Inspiring and surprising:
Guided city walk "Kassel – Art – Culture"
From the world-famous fairy tales collected by the Grimm brothers to the documenta and the fascinating legacy of the local landgraves: Kassel is home to many impressive works of art and cultural heritage. The city's history spans more than 1100 years and was marked by numerous interesting events. On this one-hour guided walk, you learn more about the eventful history of the city of Kassel and are given an overview of the documenta city's many attractions and museums.
Mondays – Thursdays 11am | Fridays 4pm
Charge €10, concessions €8
You have reached the work of art:
Virtual documenta tour
On a total of three routes through the city with varying lengths, you can explore Kassel's outdoor documenta exhibits from the past few decades. Besides an interactive map with the respective routes and locations, there is also an audio guide that tells you more about the works of art and the artists who created them.
Simply visit the website documenta-historie.de on your smartphone and off you go!
Presentation in the Neue Galerie
The Neue Galerie near Karlsaue has always been closely connected to the documenta: it not only the venue where the works in the current exhibition are on show every five years; it is also the permanent home of some of the documenta art from the past few decades. In addition, the new presentation "about: documenta", which occupies the entire top floor, invites you to learn more about the fascinating history of this internationally important series of art exhibitions.
WowKassel in a day
At the Palmenbad, you are far from the madding crowds and can, in an informal feel-good atmosphere, enjoy the newly designed rooms and suites (in different sizes from S to XL) and the very best of North Hessian cuisine – fresh, healthy and delicious.
- 1 night incl. breakfast and “MeineCard“
- Small picnic basket containing North Hessian specialities (city honey, a miniature bottle of Palmenbad gin, a small Ahle Wurst from the butcher Landfleischerei Koch, a small jar of homemade jam and a small cheese from the Kirchhof Oberellenbach farm, Steckenpferd pilsner
- “Kassel an einem Tag” (Kassel in a day) city guide
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 80.00 p.P.
WowIn harmony with nature
The Renthof invites you to take a luxurious journey through time – in a number of ways at once: the hotel is located in the historic walls of a monastery built in 1298 and delights guests with a stylish design that provides constant surprises.
- Two nights in the desired category of room
- Extensive breakfast buffet
- A bottle of Kiefer’s non-alcoholic Hummeln im Hintern, or a bottle of Krämer’s Pudelwohl wine.
- A hiking map
- A picnic blanket
- A picnic basket or hiking rucksack containing delicious regional delicacies
- Late check-out until 2 p.m.
- The “MeineCardKassel+” (for 72 hours of free use of the local public transport and all sorts of discounts on entry tickets in the city area)
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 159 p.P.
WowWellness – fit and healthy
Situated right in the middle of Kassel´s UNESCO World Heritage Site Bergparkhöhe, the Schlosshotel Bad Wilhelmshöhe Conference & SPA leaves nothing to be desired in terms of sophistication.
- 2 nights in a Comfort double room with late check-out on Sundays until 2 p.m. (on request and depending on availability; we are also happy to check other days of the week)
- 2 x palace breakfast from the extensive buffet with live cooking
- 1 x 3-course vital menu chosen by the chef (on the day of arrival)
- Daily entry to the wellness and spa oasis including the indoor pool and the natural swimming pond
- 1 x healthy VIP welcome when you arrive in the room
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 225.00 per person
WowE-biking in Kassel
A fairytale adventure in the heart of the city? In the Hotel Gude and the neighbouring Niederzwehren fairytale district, you will meet the spirit of the Brothers Grimm wherever you go.
- 2 nights in an L double room with late check-out on Sundays until 2 p.m. (on request and depending on a availability)
- 2 x breakfast from the extensive breakfast buffet
- Free use of an e-bike with a cycling tour recommendation starting from the hotel
- 1 x 3-course meal in the Pfeffermühle restaurant on the day of arrival
- Free parking space on the hotel site during the stay
- 1 bottle of mineral water in the room
- Free WiFi in the hotel
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 199.00 p.P.