documenta art and modern classics
A pack of sleds without dogs, light-flooded landscape paintings, abstract blocks of colour and impressive sculptures: at the Neue Galerie, you can immerse yourself in the world of the renowned exhibition series documenta and explore the diversity of modern art history.
The fascinating diversity of modern art
There are streets that live up to their names – for example Schöne Aussicht, "glorious view", above Kassel's Karlsaue park, because this street not only offers fantastic vistas across the extensive landscaped park but also leads to the Neue Galerie. An imposing historic building houses Kassel's modern art collection, where you can also expect to see many "glorious sights", indeed. With works by Lovis Corinth, Max Ernst, Gerhard Richter, Joseph Beuys, Andy Warhol and many others, the list of the artists on show here reads like a who's who of recent art history. Every room offers new, surprising perspectives.
Besides paintings, sculptures and media art from the covering the period from the 18th century until today, the collection focuses particularly on documenta works from the past few decades. The presentation "about: documenta" on the top floor also takes you on a fascinating tour through the history of the world-famous exhibition series Kassel hosts every five years. A rather hidden gem in the Neue Galerie are the works by the "Willingshäuser Malerschule" exhibited on the ground floor, an artists' colony whose members skilfully captured rural life in the town of Schwalm, which is located just south of Kassel, on canvas around 300 years ago.
Einwilligung zur Nutzung von Youtube.
Unter „Datenschutz“ können Sie diese Einstellung jederzeit anpassen.
The documenta has always been more than just a major exhibition where artists from all over the world present their works: each documenta is also based on a clear concept that usually reflects the current political and social developments. Since 2019, the presentation "about: documenta" offers you the chance to learn more about the documenta's history as well as the organisers' respective concepts in an entertaining way. Original works are accompanied by relevant documents and film material, which makes it possible to experience and understand the exhibition series initiated by the artist and designer Arnold Bode in 1955 in a completely different way. The curators of the 2022 documenta 15, the Indonesian art collective ruangrupa, have also designed a room here.
Joseph Beuys at the Neue Galerie
"Every human being is an artist": Joseph Beuys' probably most famous quote. He was one of the most colourful and most famous artists of the past century and would have celebrated his 100th birthday in 2021. The artist, who was born in Germany's Lower Rhine region, regularly exhibited works at the documenta in Kassel from documenta 3 onwards. With his social sculpture "7000 Oaks", he even left his permanent mark on the cityscape. Beuys actually designed an entire room on the ground floor of the Neue Galerie in person. It is now at the heart of the collection and invites you to discover the diverse range of Beuys' oeuvre. Besides the large-scale installation "The Pack", you can also admire many smaller works by the artist there.
WowIn harmony with nature
The Renthof invites you to take a luxurious journey through time – in a number of ways at once: the hotel is located in the historic walls of a monastery built in 1298 and delights guests with a stylish design that provides constant surprises.
- Two nights in the desired category of room
- Extensive breakfast buffet
- A bottle of Kiefer’s non-alcoholic Hummeln im Hintern, or a bottle of Krämer’s Pudelwohl wine.
- A hiking map
- A picnic blanket
- A picnic basket or hiking rucksack containing delicious regional delicacies
- Late check-out until 2 p.m.
- The “MeineCardKassel+” (for 72 hours of free use of the local public transport and all sorts of discounts on entry tickets in the city area)
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 159 p.P.
WowKassel in a day
At the Palmenbad, you are far from the madding crowds and can, in an informal feel-good atmosphere, enjoy the newly designed rooms and suites (in different sizes from S to XL) and the very best of North Hessian cuisine – fresh, healthy and delicious.
- 1 night incl. breakfast and “MeineCard“
- Small picnic basket containing North Hessian specialities (city honey, a miniature bottle of Palmenbad gin, a small Ahle Wurst from the butcher Landfleischerei Koch, a small jar of homemade jam and a small cheese from the Kirchhof Oberellenbach farm, Steckenpferd pilsner
- “Kassel an einem Tag” (Kassel in a day) city guide
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 80.00 p.P.
WowWellness – fit and healthy
Situated right in the middle of Kassel´s UNESCO World Heritage Site Bergparkhöhe, the Schlosshotel Bad Wilhelmshöhe Conference & SPA leaves nothing to be desired in terms of sophistication.
- 2 nights in a Comfort double room with late check-out on Sundays until 2 p.m. (on request and depending on availability; we are also happy to check other days of the week)
- 2 x palace breakfast from the extensive buffet with live cooking
- 1 x 3-course vital menu chosen by the chef (on the day of arrival)
- Daily entry to the wellness and spa oasis including the indoor pool and the natural swimming pond
- 1 x healthy VIP welcome when you arrive in the room
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 225.00 per person
WowE-biking in Kassel
A fairytale adventure in the heart of the city? In the Hotel Gude and the neighbouring Niederzwehren fairytale district, you will meet the spirit of the Brothers Grimm wherever you go.
- 2 nights in an L double room with late check-out on Sundays until 2 p.m. (on request and depending on a availability)
- 2 x breakfast from the extensive breakfast buffet
- Free use of an e-bike with a cycling tour recommendation starting from the hotel
- 1 x 3-course meal in the Pfeffermühle restaurant on the day of arrival
- Free parking space on the hotel site during the stay
- 1 bottle of mineral water in the room
- Free WiFi in the hotel
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 199.00 p.P.