KolorCubes: Colourful walls for Kassel!
You can find one of Kassel's most unusual tourist attractions in the trendy Schillerviertel quarter, where the local graffiti and street art project KolorCubes curates large-scale murals that have become landmarks in their own right by now, created by artists from all over the world. The Schillerviertel is also home to the KolorCubes workspace, an open art studio and arts & culture council office that hosts workshops and is also the starting point for the guided tours through the local "public art gallery".
Art in public spaces
The declared aims of the graffiti project KolorCubes are to get people together and to enrich urban spaces with large-scale art.
What began with three wall murals in Kassel's Schillerviertel district, which has a lively arts and culture scene, soon developed into a project whose reputation spread beyond the region. It is now a firmly established element of Kassel's art scene. Around 30 large-scale murals have so far been created in Kassel in collaboration with artists from all over the world. Together, they represent what is known as the local "public art gallery". KolorCubes has also initiated and continues to be involved in many other projects and collaborations with a number of clubs and institutions in Kassel.
Registered charity KolorCubes e. V. has been developing an open workspace for the realisation of projects and collaborations in the Schillerviertel district since 2018. Encouraging people to engage with art plays a key role, for example in the form of guided tours, lectures and creative workshops. Above all, the KolorCubes team aims to offer people the opportunity to develop and to discover their talents.
Einwilligung zur Nutzung von Youtube.
Unter „Datenschutz“ können Sie diese Einstellung jederzeit anpassen.
Guided tours of the "public art gallery"
KolorCubes regularly offers guided tours around this "public art gallery"; they are also available on request. The public art gallery "exhibits" are all located in the Schillerviertel district, Kassel's "heart of gold". The district has undergone an astonishing transformation in recent years: unused former industrial premised have been revived by regional companies, artists have opened studios in rear courtyards, and the local street festival, the "Schillerviertelfest", that is held every summer has become a firm fixture in Kassel's cultural landscape.
On the guided tour, the participants can learn more about the creation processes and backgrounds to the wall murals, are given insights into the project's work and have the opportunity to discuss urban art in public spaces.
Street art you can listen to
Of course, you can also explore the public art gallery's colourful graffiti and murals independently. Our tip: Why not take the cdw Stiftung's free audio guide with you as a practical companion on your visit to Kassel's "open-air museum". It will guide you as you go on an entertaining exploration of 26 works of art and locations on a tour that lasts around one-and-a-half hours, and also features interesting portraits of the artists, descriptions of the artworks and insider information. Simply download it onto your smartphone here and off you go!
KolorCubes creative workshops
An important element of the KolorCubes project is to encourage people to engage with art – digitally via the social media, in an analogue way through printed media or also face to face, for instance during workshops and painting projects. Everyone is welcome to participate – the only condition is an open mind.
Everyone should be able to use their imagination in art, which includes making decisions, choosing, letting things happen and allowing them to evolve. People who create and practice art learn to constantly redevelop their ideas and habitual ways of doing things. During the project, they will use either spray paints or paint brushes, always on the basis of a concept that leaves plenty of room for the development of own ideas and that in fact encourages them – creativity and change are experienced jointly, and the environment is shaped together.
Open projects are as much part of the concept as painting projects developed specifically for schoolchildren and companies. What is important is that everyone has fun, can express their creativity and does not have to be afraid of reprimands – according to the motto "each one teach one".
WowKassel in a day
At the Palmenbad, you are far from the madding crowds and can, in an informal feel-good atmosphere, enjoy the newly designed rooms and suites (in different sizes from S to XL) and the very best of North Hessian cuisine – fresh, healthy and delicious.
- 1 night incl. breakfast and “MeineCard“
- Small picnic basket containing North Hessian specialities (city honey, a miniature bottle of Palmenbad gin, a small Ahle Wurst from the butcher Landfleischerei Koch, a small jar of homemade jam and a small cheese from the Kirchhof Oberellenbach farm, Steckenpferd pilsner
- “Kassel an einem Tag” (Kassel in a day) city guide
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 80.00 p.P.
WowE-biking in Kassel
A fairytale adventure in the heart of the city? In the Hotel Gude and the neighbouring Niederzwehren fairytale district, you will meet the spirit of the Brothers Grimm wherever you go.
- 2 nights in an L double room with late check-out on Sundays until 2 p.m. (on request and depending on a availability)
- 2 x breakfast from the extensive breakfast buffet
- Free use of an e-bike with a cycling tour recommendation starting from the hotel
- 1 x 3-course meal in the Pfeffermühle restaurant on the day of arrival
- Free parking space on the hotel site during the stay
- 1 bottle of mineral water in the room
- Free WiFi in the hotel
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 199.00 p.P.
WowIn harmony with nature
The Renthof invites you to take a luxurious journey through time – in a number of ways at once: the hotel is located in the historic walls of a monastery built in 1298 and delights guests with a stylish design that provides constant surprises.
- Two nights in the desired category of room
- Extensive breakfast buffet
- A bottle of Kiefer’s non-alcoholic Hummeln im Hintern, or a bottle of Krämer’s Pudelwohl wine.
- A hiking map
- A picnic blanket
- A picnic basket or hiking rucksack containing delicious regional delicacies
- Late check-out until 2 p.m.
- The “MeineCardKassel+” (for 72 hours of free use of the local public transport and all sorts of discounts on entry tickets in the city area)
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 159 p.P.
WowWellness – fit and healthy
Situated right in the middle of Kassel´s UNESCO World Heritage Site Bergparkhöhe, the Schlosshotel Bad Wilhelmshöhe Conference & SPA leaves nothing to be desired in terms of sophistication.
- 2 nights in a Comfort double room with late check-out on Sundays until 2 p.m. (on request and depending on availability; we are also happy to check other days of the week)
- 2 x palace breakfast from the extensive buffet with live cooking
- 1 x 3-course vital menu chosen by the chef (on the day of arrival)
- Daily entry to the wellness and spa oasis including the indoor pool and the natural swimming pond
- 1 x healthy VIP welcome when you arrive in the room
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 225.00 per person