Regional and creative: sustainable shopping in Kassel
You don’t buy off-the-peg clothing? Then a trip into Kassel‘s districts is just what you want. Here, not far from the shopping centres in the city, you can look forward to a completely different kind of shopping experience. A number of smaller shops and factories have settled here and delight their customers with creative ideas and sustainable products produced in the region. One example is the brightly coloured boxer shorts that are created from used bed linen at soki in Kassel’s trendy Vorderer Westen district. Original upcycling of a different kind that is almost too good to wear beneath your clothes…
In a nutshell:
How bed linen becomes stylish boxer shorts
Since 2015, the Kassel-based fashion label soki has transformed old bed linen that would otherwise probably end up in an old clothes collection into unique boxer shorts, which are now delighting increasing numbers of customers. Kira Kamm, owner of soki and a trained tailor, also brings out two collections of clothing made of organic cotton in a casual style every year. Alternatively, you can also have your new family outfits tailored from old bed linen – either from your own bedroom or from soki’s large stock of bed linen.
But why bed linen? “There is an incredibly wide variety of colours and patterns, which have a completely new effect as boxer shorts,“ explains Kira. “Grandma’s flowery bed linen will suddenly become a fashionable item of clothing that will not only delight men!” But bed linen also has other advantages: “Due to its size, a duvet cover is easy to work with – we can generally make four to six boxer shorts out of a single duvet cover. The used bed linen also has the advantage that it has already been washed umpteen times, which means that it is guaranteed not to contain any harmful substances anymore.” Almost “standard” conditions for fashionable clothing with a distinctive look.
Einwilligung zur Nutzung von Youtube.
Unter „Datenschutz“ können Sie diese Einstellung jederzeit anpassen.
These shorts are just for you
You fancy having your own personal boxer shorts sewn from original or cherished bed linen? Then get to the soki store in Kassel’s Vorderer Westen district. Here, you can order your underwear in person. Alternatively, you can simply send your bed linen to Kira by post and then order your boxer shorts in the appropriate size – soki will make up to four pairs of boxer shorts from a single duvet cover. They can, of course, also be made in different sizes, for example as gifts!
Green light for sustainable products:
The Green Concept Store
In addition to its own boxer shorts creations, soki also offers products from other labels and attractive products from the region in its Green Concept Store in the Vorderer Westen district. The product range extends from fashion and jewellery to natural deodorant and the palatable beer specialities of the Kassel brewery Steckenpferd. So it is worth dropping in – even to the soki web shop, through which you can have a number of products delivered conveniently to your home.
soki Kassel | Label & Store
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 101, 34119 Kassel
Mon-Fri: 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. & Sat: 11 a.m., - 3 p.m.
WowKassel in a day
At the Palmenbad, you are far from the madding crowds and can, in an informal feel-good atmosphere, enjoy the newly designed rooms and suites (in different sizes from S to XL) and the very best of North Hessian cuisine – fresh, healthy and delicious.
- 1 night incl. breakfast and “MeineCard“
- Small picnic basket containing North Hessian specialities (city honey, a miniature bottle of Palmenbad gin, a small Ahle Wurst from the butcher Landfleischerei Koch, a small jar of homemade jam and a small cheese from the Kirchhof Oberellenbach farm, Steckenpferd pilsner
- “Kassel an einem Tag” (Kassel in a day) city guide
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 80.00 p.P.
WowWellness – fit and healthy
Situated right in the middle of Kassel´s UNESCO World Heritage Site Bergparkhöhe, the Schlosshotel Bad Wilhelmshöhe Conference & SPA leaves nothing to be desired in terms of sophistication.
- 2 nights in a Comfort double room with late check-out on Sundays until 2 p.m. (on request and depending on availability; we are also happy to check other days of the week)
- 2 x palace breakfast from the extensive buffet with live cooking
- 1 x 3-course vital menu chosen by the chef (on the day of arrival)
- Daily entry to the wellness and spa oasis including the indoor pool and the natural swimming pond
- 1 x healthy VIP welcome when you arrive in the room
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 225.00 per person
WowIn harmony with nature
The Renthof invites you to take a luxurious journey through time – in a number of ways at once: the hotel is located in the historic walls of a monastery built in 1298 and delights guests with a stylish design that provides constant surprises.
- Two nights in the desired category of room
- Extensive breakfast buffet
- A bottle of Kiefer’s non-alcoholic Hummeln im Hintern, or a bottle of Krämer’s Pudelwohl wine.
- A hiking map
- A picnic blanket
- A picnic basket or hiking rucksack containing delicious regional delicacies
- Late check-out until 2 p.m.
- The “MeineCardKassel+” (for 72 hours of free use of the local public transport and all sorts of discounts on entry tickets in the city area)
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 159 p.P.
WowE-biking in Kassel
A fairytale adventure in the heart of the city? In the Hotel Gude and the neighbouring Niederzwehren fairytale district, you will meet the spirit of the Brothers Grimm wherever you go.
- 2 nights in an L double room with late check-out on Sundays until 2 p.m. (on request and depending on a availability)
- 2 x breakfast from the extensive breakfast buffet
- Free use of an e-bike with a cycling tour recommendation starting from the hotel
- 1 x 3-course meal in the Pfeffermühle restaurant on the day of arrival
- Free parking space on the hotel site during the stay
- 1 bottle of mineral water in the room
- Free WiFi in the hotel
- ... and lots more!
from EUR 199.00 p.P.